Patient Experience at Epworth HealthCare
How we measure patient experience
Feedback from our patients is an important element to ensure our patients feel safe and confident in the quality of their care and have a positive patient experience. It also helps to identify opportunities to improve how we deliver our care.
One way we monitor patient experience is by regularly surveying patients about their hospital stay from admission to discharge at Epworth. Our survey includes the Australian Hospital Patient Experience Question Set (AHPEQS). For more information on this survey please visit: https://www.safetyandquality.gov.au/our-work/partnering-consumers/consumers
As a patient, you may receive one of these surveys from us when you leave our care. Our results are benchmarked nationally and reviewed by our teams to raise awareness of how patients feel and what is important to them, and what can be done to improve the patient experience. The information is used to develop quality improvement projects with staff.
Our 2022 Results
Epworth HealthCare began using the Australian Hospital Patient Experience Questions Set (AHPEQS) in 2021.
In 2022, over 35 000 patients were invited to complete a survey, with an overall response rate of 50%.
Net promoter score
The Net Promoter Score indicates whether a patient would recommend Epworth to family and friends.
It is calculated by subtracting the number of detractors from the number of promoters. The final score can range from -100 (if every patient is a Detractor) to 100 (if every patient is a Promoter).
Epworth HealthCare scored a Net Promoter Score of 77 in 2022, a strong response, indicating patients would recommend Epworth to family and friends.
Overall quality of experience
This measure tracks how patients felt about the quality of the care they received in hospital. A higher score indicates a higher level of patient experience.
82% agreed overall, the quality of treatment and care they received was very good.
What our patients are telling us
- "Couldn't fault care, best hospital I have ever had the pleasure of being a patient at"
- "Nursing staff consistently excellent and knowledgeable, compassionate and considerate. Without them, my stay would have been vastly different"
- "From the moment I entered the building, the volunteer helpers were fantastic, even walking me to my destination"
- "Loved my stay from start to finish, thank you. An amazing hospital and staff"
- " All the staff were terrific, that was across Nursing, Allied Health, Cleaning and Food Services staff, the care, support, assistance and encouragement was tremendous and much appreciated.”