Our mission is to develop and implement innovative treatments to improve the lives of men with prostate cancer.
Our centre has made meaningful impact through ground-breaking research and exceptional patient experience. We are proud of the number of patients we’re able to support. Epworth provided the very best care to more than 2,600 people with prostate cancer in 2021.
Each patient receives the benefits of collaboration between specialists, nurses and others involved in their care. Treatment plans for complex cases are discussed in a multidisciplinary team meeting (MDM) so everyone in your treatment team is committed to the same goal for your care.
Who we are
The centre is possible through the philanthropic support of the Epworth Medical Foundation.
We are part of the legacy of the great Ted ‘E.J.’ Whitten, a beloved Australian Football Rules player fondly known as Mr Football. A strong advocate for men’s health, he brought the conversation about prostate cancer into the public sphere.
What we do
- Undertake innovative research and clinical trials for prostate cancer, including international trials where we are the only Australian site.
- Apply the latest research to patient-centred care at Epworth, to constantly improve diagnosis, management and treatment.
- Lead Victoria’s only active Irreversible Electroporation (IRE) (Nanoknife) facility, where prostate cancer cells are destroyed using electrical pulses.
- Educate the next generation of urologists and empower health professionals to constantly improve patient care.
Our dedicated team creates an environment where patients and their families can come with confidence.
- Centre Director, Professor Nathan Lawrentschuk MBBS, FRACP (Uro), PhD
- Research Program Manager, Thilakavathi Chengodu
Ask Us Anything - Prostate Cancer - Professor Nathan Lawrentschuk
Thank you to the specialists who work with us:
- Associate Professor Laurence Harewood (Epworth Freemasons)
- Dr Paul Kearns (Epworth Geelong)
- Professor Nathan Lawrentschuk (Epworth Freemasons)
- Mr George Mirmilstein (Epworth Geelong)
- Associate Professor Declan Murphy (Epworth Richmond)
- Professor Shomik Sengupta (Epworth Freemasons, Epworth Eastern)
- Dr Dixon Woon (Epworth Freemasons, Epworth Richmond and Epworth Eastern)
- Associate Professor Arun Azad, Medical oncologist (Epworth Freemasons, Epworth Richmond)
- Associate Professor Shankar Siva, Radiation oncologist (Epworth Freemasons, Epworth Richmond)
Our key achievements
Patients who accessed treatment through the Epworth NanoKnife service
Research findings published since 2016