What is restless legs syndrome?
Restless legs syndrome is a condition that affects the nervous system and makes you feel a strong urge to move your legs. It also causes uncomfortable sensations like itching, tingling, crawling or burning in the legs. These sensations usually happen when you're resting, especially in the evening or at night.
What are the common symptoms of restless legs syndrome?
You may feel:
- A strong need to move your legs, accompanied by uncomfortable sensations like itching, tingling, crawling, or burning in the legs
- Trouble falling asleep or staying asleep because of leg discomfort
- Tired or sleepy during the day because your sleep is disturbed
I think I have restless legs syndrome, what should I do?
If you would like to speak to an Epworth neurologist about your symptoms and treatment options, the first step is to schedule an appointment with your GP and request a referral.
You can also discuss a referral to a sleep specialist with your GP if you both think a sleep study is needed.
Can restless legs syndrome be cured?
Restless legs syndrome is a chronic condition, meaning it typically requires ongoing management rather than being curable. However, there are several treatments for restless legs syndrome that can relieve symptoms.
We will conduct a thorough evaluation to ensure an accurate diagnosis. In most cases, restless legs syndrome is diagnosed based on:
- The characteristics of your symptoms
- A physical examination and medical history
Treatment and management
Your Epworth care team will work together with you to plan the best approach to treatment and symptom management. Depending on your circumstances, your Epworth doctor may suggest:
- Making lifestyle changes that can help alleviate your symptoms
- A sleep study to further evaluate your condition
An Epworth Rehabilitation program or one-on-one allied health consultation through Epworth Private Practice may help to address symptoms of restless leg syndrome, depending on individual needs.
At Epworth, our sleep disorder services evaluate the full spectrum of sleep disorders, including restless legs syndrome and periodic limb movement disorder.