The Lactation Consultants who run the Breastfeeding support clinic have International lactation consultancy qualifications (IBLCE) and are passionate about empowering women to enjoy their breastfeeding experience. Through the Breastfeeding support clinic, women can receive breastfeeding assistance, guidance and information throughout their pregnancy and after the birth of their baby.
Appointments for this service can be made by anyone, regardless of their birth hospital.
Breastfeeding support during your pregnancy
An appointment with a Lactation Consultant during your pregnancy can help mentally prepare you for breastfeeding. Reasons why you might like to meet with a Lactation Consultant prior to your baby’s due date include:
- To address previous breastfeeding difficulties or traumatic experiences
- To discuss any concerns that may arise during your pregnancy
- To develop individual breastfeeding plans for your birth experience and for when your baby is born
- If you are expecting multiple babies or a baby who may be premature or ill
- To find out more about antenatal expressing for women with Gestational Diabetes, previous supply issues or who are interested in collecting a colostrum “stash”
Breastfeeding support after your baby is born
Once your baby is born and you have been discharged from hospital, you might like to consider an appointment with a Lactation Consultant if you have concerns or difficulties with:
- Breastfeeding positions and attachment
- Having too much or not enough milk
- Your baby losing weight or not gaining weight
- Sore or damaged nipples
- Breast or nipple thrush
- Tongue ties
- Feeding multiple babies or a premature baby
- Any other issues that may arise.
Where is the clinic located?
Maternity services, located on Level 3 at Epworth Geelong
1 Epworth Place, Waurn Ponds.
- $50 for a one hour antenatal appointment
- $100 for a one hour postnatal appointment
Some private health insurers provide cover for lactation services, so remember check your policy details directly with your health fund.
Epworth Geelong maternity patients can choose to book one free antenatal appointment and one free postnatal appointment.
Bookings and enquiries
Appointments for the Breastfeeding support clinic are available Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays. Please call our maternity team on 03 5271 8322 to make a booking or for further information.