We know how important it is to keep a healthy heart.
As part of the La Trobe Financial Wellness Series, we’ve got six tips to help you take care of your ticker.
1. Be smoke-free
Being smoke-free is one of the best things you can do to protect your heart.
2. Manage your blood pressure
Blood pressure isn’t usually something you can feel. If it’s too high, it needs to be treated.
3. Be physically active
Regular, moderate physical activity is great for your heart health. It’s never too late to start and get the benefits. It’s also important to sit less during your day and break up your sitting time.
4. Achieve and maintain a healthy weight
Maintaining a healthy weight can reduce the risk of heart disease and other health problems.
5. Enjoy a variety of nutritious foods
Eating a varied diet of healthy foods can help with your weight, blood pressure and cholesterol.
There are also specific changes you can make to your diet to help prevent heart disease:
- Eat less salt: reducing your salt intake is good for your blood pressure
- Replace unhealthy fats with healthy fats: replacing saturated and trans fats with unsaturated fats can reduce your risk of heart disease
- Limit alcohol
6. Look after your mental health
We know that there can be a greater risk of heart disease for people who have depression, are socially isolated or do not have good social support. Having a good social life with family and friends can help. Depression is more than feeling sad or low. If you feel depressed for more than two weeks, talk to your doctor, a family member or someone you know well.
This article was written as part of the La Trobe Financial Wellness Series. Thanks to La Trobe Financial for their continued commitment to our community.
15 April 2021