The Epworth Gait Clinic is an assessment service to identify key problems that affect the ability to walk and move.
A rehabilitation doctor and physiotherapist work together to determine the most effective treatment or management plan for people experiencing problems walking.
Who is the gait clinic for?
The gait clinic caters to a range of needs, whether people need assistance to stand and walk or have higher-level needs such as running.
This includes people who:
- are recovering from neurological conditions (such as a brain injury or stroke), or
- have complex orthopaedic injuries.
What to expect
The first appointment will involve an assessment by a rehabilitation doctor and physiotherapist.
They will assess a patient’s:
- medical history
- functional goals.
This will help them identify treatment options and build a plan to support individual goals.
After the first assessment, we will develop a tailored treatment program to address gait-related issues. This may include:
- a rehabilitation program to address individual needs such as strength training, stretching, falls and balance training and gait re-education
- a referral for a more detailed 3D clinical gait analysis
- spasticity management specific to walking
- referral to an orthotist, surgeon or other specialist clinic.
Appointment fees may be covered by:
- private health funds
- TAC and WorkSafe
- NDIS plans (self-managed or through a plan manager)
- self-funding (paying each appointment on the day).
Our team can provide more details on levels of cover and payment options.
Referral and contact details
A referral from a treating specialist is needed for this service.
Email the referral to: [email protected]
For general enquiries, contact us by email or phone 03 9415 5728
50 Burwood Road
Hawthorn VIC 3122