Clinical Electives at Epworth allow students to explore a medical or surgical discipline in a setting different from that of their primary training. Students may have the opportunity to attend ward rounds, tutorials, lectures, operations, and to interview and examine patients (subject to variation according to the selected discipline).
Please note: preference is given to the partner University.
Clinical Elective Program
- Students must be in their final or penultimate year of their medical degree at the time of taking their clinical elective
Duration of clinical elective period
- Clinical Electives are offered for a period of 4 weeks, subject to availability
- A $200 AUD fee is required at the time of application submission.
- This deposit is non-refundable and does not guarantee an elective placement. If your application is successful, a further $1000 AUD (comprising of a $200 administrative fee and a placement fee of $800 AUD) is required to secure your place for a 4-week elective.
- Fluency in both written and verbal English is required
- It is the student's responsibility to ensure the appropriate visa for entry and temporary residence in Australia is obtained
- Students should contact the Australian Embassy (Diplomatic post) in their own country for visa requirements and permissible length of stay, as clinical electives are subject to a visa being granted
Epworth HealthCare is unable to act as a sponsor on your behalf and will not complete sponsorship forms for study visas.
Students must arrange the following insurance cover and forward their relevant Certificates of Currency evidencing each line of insurance has been obtained to their Elective Coordinator prior to the commencement of the elective.
Required insurance cover:
- Personal Accident Insurance
- Professional Indemnity/Medical Malpractice (Minimum: $20,000,000 AUD)
- Public Liability (Minimum: $20,000,000 AUD)
We also recommend that international students obtain appropriate personal travel/health insurance.
Please note that the insurer for each line of insurance must be an approved provider.
Approved providers are institutions regulated by the Australian Prudential Regulation Authority (APRA), and a list can be found here.
- Epworth does not provide accommodation. However, information regarding accommodation options is available here
- Should you wish to cancel your clinical elective, please notify the Epworth Clinical School as soon as you are able. No refund is possible if a cancellation is made within 30 days of the commencement date of the elective