Is cardiac rehabilitation for me?
You will benefit from cardiac rehabilitation at Epworth if you:
- are recovering from a heart procedure, such as an open-heart surgery or stent
- have recently experienced a cardiac event, such as heart attack
- are diagnosed with chronic heart disease, such as heart failure.
About our heart and cardiac rehabilitation program
Your cardiac rehabilitation program is developed specifically for your needs and will provide:
- personalised exercise programs
- encouragement and opportunities to practise lifestyle changes, so you can live a fulfilling life while minimising the risk of future cardiac events
- support for you and your family to understand and manage your heart health
- Connections to local community support networks to assist your long-term heart health and recovery
You will be guided through topics including:
Our programs are evidence-based and align with the National Heart Foundation's recommendations.
About your rehabilitation team
You will be supported by a specialist team of health professionals who are experts in cardiac rehabilitation:
This team includes:
- a cardiac rehabilitation physician
- cardiac nurses
- exercise physiologists
- occupational therapists
Our rehabilitation programs empower patients to make decisions for their future, with confidence. Our team will encourage you to set goals, review your progress and plan for your future needs.
How to access our heart and cardiac rehabilitation programs
Cardiac rehabilitation programs are available at Epworth Brighton, Epworth Camberwell, Epworth Geelong and Epworth Richmond.
For most patients, the program is delivered as an outpatient program. This means you will come to hospital for a couple of hours a day, once or twice a week.
Some patients might complete rehabilitation as an inpatient, staying in hospital for a short period of time to support their recovery immediately after surgery or a cardiac episode.
Our team will help work our what suits your needs.
Make a referral to Epworth heart and cardiac rehabilitation
Ask your treating specialist, GP, health professional or registered nurse for a referral to Epworth rehabilitation.